Wednesday 17 July 2013

What's- in -a -Name?

I have read extensively lately about the "modern" quilt........a new twist on the traditional art of quilting..... may contain reinterpreted traditional blocks...... often use grey & white as neutrals...... frequently use improvisational piecing.......use asymmetry in quilt design...... reflects an increase use of solid fabrics............Years ago when I owned a little patchwork shop the joy of sewing got lost somewhere in amongst the reality of making a living, but now I am simply enjoying all aspects of quilting .......whether it's modern, traditional, or art.

Today I took a pic of my attempt a wee while ago at making the  "Modern" quilt!!!!
After letting chance play a part, I think it's looking ok now.
Simplicity & minimalism are the words that spring to mind!!!! 
The lovely machine quilting has been done by Annette from Wildcotton Ltd and really does add another dimension, especialy in all the -ve spaces.   However, I do need to get a wriggle-on to have it all finished completely by 5 August.  We are handing in our quilts then for the Monday Modern quilt show that's happening mid-September at Highwic House in Parnell.



I have now also finished the pastel pinwheel quilt top, and made the binding, and have made up the backing from blue & white leftovers stashed in the depths of  the wardrobe.  I love the way the low volume background fabrics make some of the other fabrics sparkle. (that was my mum's old, old wooden ironing board!)



I am wondering about the quilting pattern, but for now will just enjoy looking at it.
Sometimes I find if I use the "be patient Linda" button, then inspiration does kinda happen eventually!!!
P.S.  Anyone joining in the Double Wedding Ring competition? see Kathy's latest blog entry over at Material Obsession.

No comments: