Monday 26 January 2015

over the long weekend




                                                           all-out scrappy                                        AMH + a few friends

Over this long weekend I wanted to tackle the overflowing scrap basket under my sewing table. I was going to sort my scraps by colour. So I dumped them all out onto the floor and began making little piles! There was one pile for the uglies, the rejected ones, and the way-too-small bits. And then there was a second pile for the ones I really want to use again & again... but before I had a chance to sort these out into their separate colours, I sort of got sidetracked! Again!!
I made a couple of trial quarter log cabin blocks, something I've been wanting to do for a while now, finished block size 12 1/2" x 12 1/2." {For some great ideas on setting blocks like these, check out Jayne's post here.} Not sure which version I prefer yet... the all-out scrappy look or the AHM + just a few friends version. Mr D. thought they were both pretty much the same! hm-m-m interesting! What do you think? Linking into 'Oh Scrap' here



Sew at Home Mummy


Sometimes not finishing things simply comes down to me losing inspiration. I messed around for ages trying to work out how to set the blocks for the 'classic meets modern' quilt, but nothing seemed right, so I put it away. However, finishing this quilt-a-long from last year was on my list {hey, you know, "The List" - see here for more details} so this long weekend I got it out again. This monthly QAL has been all about putting a modern spin on traditional blocks, and I wanted the setting & borders to reflect that too. I've pieced it altogether, added borders, sorted out the backing, and now it's all pressed, folded & waiting to go off to the quilter for some extra magic! So excited to be so near to crossing something else off the list! Linking up with Erin here - pop on over to see how others are progressing!



modern BB # 2

And then, really late in the day, I decided to make another block for the Moda Modern Building Blocks quilt. Good to get the two biggest blocks done now! Karyn (see here) has been busy with these blocks too. Our versions look pleasantly different, it's quite a lovely play with the lights & darks!

                                                       Don't you just love a long weekend
                                                     - heaps of time to do heaps of things!
                                        {here in Auckland, NZ it's Auckland Anniversary weekend} 

12 comments:

Vera said...

Good luck with your project! Look at all those sharp points! Well done!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am a fan of the AMH+friends version, but I do like a bit of order over a truly all scrappy look! :)

Claire said...

Now that I am retired, every weekend should be a long one, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Can't wait to see your finished Classic Meets Modern. I will end up with separate quilts for each block that I made.

Kathy S. said...

LOVE the colors in your modern BB #2. What fun to play with scraps!!! Thanks for posting the link for the log cabin options. I have so many piles of scraps sorted by color, but I'm always trying to figure out what to do with the scraps that are too "ugly" to fit a color family. What a great idea!

Jayne said...

I love both your log cabin blocks. They will make a beautiful scrappy quilt and there is nothing better than using up those pesky scraps! Which seem to multiply no matter how much you use!

Julie said...

Love that Moda building block, I had a sort out of my scraps too - amazing what we keep for "one day ......."
Hope you had a fabulous weekend.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you! Yes it's a lot of fun trying to use them up creatively, and I'm finding a scrappy quilt like this half log cabin is great for hiding the odd past dodgy purchases or those uglies inamongst the riot of colour! Thanx for popping by, Linda

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What fun scrappy blocks you got sidetracked with! I love them. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

✄ Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy ✄ said...

Absolutley gorgeous - can't wait to see the finished quilt! I just love the colors you used. You've been really productive, I need to get my butt in gear ;)

SewPsyched! said...

OOh! I like the AMH scrappy log cabin the best :) Hmmm, off to do a little sorting of my own! thanks for the inspiration!!

Sandra Walker said...

"losing inspiration" I hear you...on my list is finishing a (cough) years-old Stack 'n Whack quilt... and I really like that modern BB#2! Split flying geese...at least that's what I'm seeing and I like it. Playing iwih light and darks is sooo much fun...as is retiring early! I, too, did!

Ali w said...

Hi Linda. I have to sort my scraps too as they are out of control and I am sure I am cutting into yardage or buying more fabric when I have perfectly good fabric in the big basket of scraps.