Thursday 6 October 2016

material strips... makedo... and mad plans!



I've made a start this week on a new scrapquilt using Kathy's quiltpattern "Madness" from her book Adding Layers, originally inspired by *Anna Williams. Actually, it's more of a 'recipe' really rather than a pattern, and is made up in sections with lots of strip piecing. I gathered up some scrappy stash fabrics along with a few 'spare parts' and began first by making up some larger units...




- goodness, Kathy suggests slicing blocks like this straight through the diagonal!








Then I had a little playful fun with my Japanese piecing...
{see here for details about this old WiP}



And I made up a couple of sections of fabric by sewing fabric strips together.
I wanted a wide variety of fabrics here- shot cottons, spots, stripes and all the rest.
Anything goes...





... but having said that, there were a few tricks I discovered along the way to sort of help make it all work! Like alternating my warm & cool fabrics, using b&w fabrics to add definition, keeping everything flowing vertically, and I suspect that if I repeat some elements that will help too. Oh, and I must also remember Kathy's advice "don't sweat the technique!"


There's certainly been moments of self doubt, some unpicking, and lots of mind changing.
and there's gaps everywhere...




... but I can see some progress today!
Linking up with Kelly for 'needle & thread Thursday' here
and with 'let's bee social' here with Lorna


a bit more #53
And if I've got you curious about all this makedo madness now too,
there's more inspiration over here at Barbara Brackman's blog

I also did a little research on *Anna Williams an African-American quilter and very inspiring!

"Anna Williams, Baton Rouge, Louisiana (American, 1927-2010) - Quilt, circa 1995 - Cotton, synthetics:  Anna Williams, an African American quilt maker born and raised near Baton Rouge, Louisiana, made quilts throughout her life, incorporating scraps of traditional printed cotton, unusual synthetics and woven or decorated fabrics such as the sequined pieces seen here.  The artist's bold approach combines traditional block settings with free-flowing improvisation and a masterful use of colour.  In the late 1980s, Williams' unique style of quilt-making became highly regarded by artists and collectors."


11 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You made some great progress. I like where you are headed!

Kate said...

Very fun. I really like the free flowing way you are putting this together.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is looking so interesting! I can just imagine how it feels to sew up those first blocks, and then cut them and add something new. A little nerve wracking! But I love the scrappy color of what you have so far!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love it, love it, love it to bits!!! I'm so looking forward to seeing you work away on this.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Thank you Maureen! I’m having fun trying to simply ‘see what I’m looking at’ and thinking how I can make that work!
The cutting up part does feel a little crazy! (I really actually liked it before I cut into it!) But, I’ve decided to tryout this ‘recipe’ and adding the b&w does certainly add the much needed linear definition!
... and this calms me a little!
Oh and revisiting it all the next day really does help!

arncar said...

I really like the way this going Linda.

Linda said...

It's all looking very exciting. The black and white fabrics really set off the mix of other colours.

Nifty Quilts said...

Looks like great fun!

gayle said...

I'm admiring your bravery in cutting and slashing! And I'm also envying the fun you're having!
Can't wait to see where this takes you! 8)

pandchintz said...

What fun!! It's looking great.

Kaja said...

This is fab and it sounds like you are having fun. I find the repetition thing is key - whether it's the colour or a particular fabric or a shape, if I use it once I use it again. Really looking forward to seeing this continue.